February 11, 2019
Published: February 11, 2019
February 10-16, 2019 is School Board Appreciation Week in Missouri. This week helps build awareness and understanding of the vital functions our locally elected boards of education play in our community. St. James R-I School District is joining public school districts from across the state to celebrate School Board Appreciation Week and honor local board members for their commitment to St. James and its children.
Our school district is the backbone of our community, and these men and women devote countless hours to make sure St. James R-I Schools helps every child. There is no greater honor that can be bestowed upon a citizen than membership on a local board of education. They spend countless hours studying the issues and policies and make the tough decisions when called upon to ensure the type of accountability people expect.
The key work of school boards is to:
- Create a vision for what the community wants the school district to be and for making student achievement the top priority;
- Establish standards for what students will be expected to learn and be able to do;
- Ensure progress is measured to be sure the district’s goals are achieved and students are learning at expected levels;
- Create a safe, orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach;
- Form partnerships with others in the community to solve common problems, and
- Focus attention on the need for continuous improvement by questioning, refining and revising issues related to student achievement.
Our local school board shapes the future of education in St. James by influencing the high-quality of education our children receive. The St. James R-I School District Board of Education shows its commitment to educational excellence and equity – and for that I am very grateful for their attitude of service.