COVID-19 Resources – Updated 4/3/2020
The St. James R-1 School District will be closed beginning Tuesday, March 17th, and will potentially welcome students back on May 4th.
The current situation will be re-evaluated and more notifications will ensue if the need arises. As made available, more updates surrounding the St. James R-1 School District and COVID-19 will be posted via the District Website, District Facebook, and District Twitter account.
Although our area counties have no known COVID-19 cases, this decision was made based on the recommendations of local health authorities to safeguard the health and wellness of our students and staff. During this time, no students will report to school buildings, no extracurricular activities, practices, or competitions will take place. Every school will be deep cleaned before the return of students. For more information regarding common questions, please see our FAQ page.Learn More
Alternative Method of Instruction
The St. James R-I staff is presently planning on a detailed AMI format to share with students and families. Assignments will be sent home by teachers as a paper packet or a downloadable format if your student has a school-issued device. Below is information about the AMI format:
- AMI study will include 5 to 10 optional lessons to complete instead of school attendance
- AMI work will be submitted to teachers within 5 to 10 days after school resumes
- Students who complete the work (one lesson per day) will receive attendance credit for the AMI day (pending DESE approval)
- Students who do not complete the work will be marked absent for the related AMI day (pending DESE approval)
- Teachers will evaluate the work and return it with feedback.
- In most cases, AMI lessons will be provided in one-page charts that a student/parent can keep as a screenshot
- PK-8 students will be given a variety of work for the four core subjects
- 9-12 High School students will be given assignments for each course of enrollment
- During the 5 to 10 days after school resumes, each teacher will publish their availability before and after school to help support and tutor students with AMI lessons as needed
Our teachers have been working hard to prepare instructional materials for our students during the closure. It is our intent to help continue the education process for our kids during this time. Teachers will be available for virtual office hours allowing students to ask questions on any of their course materials during this closure. Follow the link below to gain access to grade-level and course-specific instructions, resources, as well as virtual office hours schedules.Learn More
The St. James R-1 School District’s Nutrition Services have sent home breakfast and lunch for Tuesday, March 17th for every student. Nutrition staff will be taking the rest of this week to deep clean kitchens and cafeterias. Staff will then take Spring Break to stay home with their families.
After Spring Break, the St. James R-1 School District’s Nutrition Services will be providing an opportunity for families to pick up lunch and breakfast via a drive-thru meal service for children 18 and under. This service will be made available on Monday, March 30th, Wednesday, April 1st, and Friday, April 3rd from 10:30 to 12:30 at the Elementary building located at 314 South Jefferson for all children. Through this service, students will receive 2 breakfast and 2 lunch meals. These meals will be made available for free to anyone 18 and under regardless of what school they regularly attend. No paperwork is required. Children must be present at the time of pickup for meals to be provided.More Info
If you don’t currently have internet access, Charter Communications (Spectrum) may be able to help. Charter is currently offering free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription. To enroll in this program call 1-844-488-8395.
For more information, please see the press release from Charter linked below.